How to Remove Mildew From the Bathroom

Bleach No More!

For decades women have used bleach as their main weapon for how to remove mildew from the bathroom. Even the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CMHC (Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation) used to recommend bleach as a safe and effective way of getting rid of mold.

No more! Here are explanations for the reasons given on the CMHC website...

1. Mold feeds on organic materials, the very presence of those organic materials significantly reduces the effectiveness of bleach.

2. Most people don't know the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of their local water. Water that is even mildly acidic can do one of two things: it can neutralize the effectiveness of the bleach and/or it can give off mildly toxic fumes.

3. Bleach cannot penetrate porous materials, which would include grout and other types of surfaces where mold/mildew are common.

4. Bleach requires a minimum 5 minute contact time to work effectively, even on solid surfaces. Most people do not leave the bleach on the surface for the required amount of time.

5. Bleach fumes are harmful.

6. Overuse of bleach will result in increased releases of chlorinated pollutants, which are harmful to the environment.

They are recommending some not-so-new approaches to getting rid of mold and mildew.

Back to How to Remove Mildew from Bleach No More

Back to Home Page

Share this page: